User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #1
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

new fcc rules

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The days of having more than one phone number may be, well, numbered for many people. Federal regulators approved rules Monday making it easier for consumers to go totally wireless by allowing them to transfer their home number to their cell phone.

For those who favor traditional phones, the Federal Communications Commission also plans to allow people to transfer their cell number to their home phone, though initially only a few will have this option.

These rules, which come on top of plans to allow people to keep their cell number when they change wireless companies, are aimed at boosting competition in the telecommunications industry.

All the changes take effect Nov. 24 for customers in the 100 largest metropolitan areas. They will apply to everyone beginning March 24.

Consumer advocates predict the changes will lead to lower prices, better service and more options for phone customers, many of whom have been reluctant to switch service because it required changing phone numbers they had given to relatives, friends and business associates.

It also is likely to spur more people to ditch the traditional landline phone and go wireless.

"After today, it's easier than ever to cut the cord," FCC Chairman Michael Powell said. "By firmly endorsing a customer's right to untether themselves from the wireline network - and take their telephone number with them - we act to eliminate impediments to competition between wireless and wireline services."

Chris Murray, legislative counsel for Consumers Union, which publishes Consumer Reports magazine, said the changes should spur competition in the local telephone market, which remains largely the domain of "Baby Bell" companies like Verizon and Qwest.

"Wireless is the only near-term hope for real consumer choice," he said.

Phone industry officials complained the new rules make it easy for cell companies to take away their customers, but difficult for them to go after wireless users.

The reason has to do with the different local service areas for wireless and landline companies. Under the FCC regulations, a phone customer can unplug a corded phone and transfer the number to a cell phone if the wireless company serves the same area. But a customer wishing to transfer a number from a cell phone to a landline can only do that if the exchange - the three digits following the area code - falls within the same geographic area, known as a "rate center," in which the house or business is located.

As a result, local phone companies will be able to go after only about an eighth of cell phone customers, while the wireless industry has no similar restrictions, BellSouth spokesman Bill McCloskey said.

"These new rules say our wireless competitors can take our customers even though the technology does not allow us to offer the same benefit of number portability to the vast majority of their customers," McCloskey said.

Commissioners acknowledged the inequities, but said the chance to inject competition into the local phone market could not be passed up.

"While I do not believe that these concerns outweigh the very significant benefits to American consumers ... I do want to highlight my keen interest in working with both industry and the chairman and my fellow commissioners on solutions to address this inequity," Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said. "The commission should constantly strive to level the proverbial playing field."

As many as 7 million consumers use cell phones exclusively. Jeff Maszal, research director for The Management Network Group, an Overland Park, Kan.-based communications consulting firm, said another 19 million consumers are likely to drop their landlines for cell phones now that they can keep their home or business phone numbers.

The cellular industry praised the new rules.

"Competition has proven to be the strongest force for falling prices and increased innovation, and America's landline telephone customers will have choices like never before," said Steve Largent, the former Republican congressman from Oklahoma who now heads the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association.

Landline companies must transfer numbers within four business days. The FCC said it would look at whether to shorten the time.

Cell phone customers who want to switch wireless companies could have new service as quickly as 2 1/2 hours after the new carrier has contacted the old provider. The transfer will take longer if more than one line is involved.

---

On the Net:

Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov
http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...302_lead_story

wow i like this idea.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:44 AM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

yea that is a really good idea....finally

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:52 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'm pretty pumped about this. I have a really good #, but on of the reasons I haven't changed my crappy service provider because I didn't want to lose it...

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:20 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, i had some cool # before but i got so fed up with the service i decided to say screw that sh!t up and got another plan

Old 11-11-2003, 06:44 AM   #5
spoogenet

Surely you guys aren't just now finding out about this?????

I've been waiting for so long for this. Not to switch service providers, but to use the threat of switching service providers to get a better deal. Hahahaaa. Wait....I already get a pretty good deal.

Sprint has been strongly wooing customers into signing contracts for "great" plans that aren't very good at all to keep them from switching when it takes place. Of course all the "deals" require 2 year contracts.....

b
Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
Loki

hmmm, yeah I only have a one year deal with Sprint. Did they raise new contracts up to two? I found their plans to be pretty similar to everyone elses in my area. They did offer me a deal recently where if I renewed my contract they would lower my bill by 5%. I was like. Well no in all seriousness I was more like. Cuz seriously, it's like, "Oh thanks, guys. Saving me that $1.75 a month is really going to help me out. I'm not necessarily displeased with the service I get from them but I'm probably not going to renew my contract. With sprint I lose service in places like the grocery store, out in the country, the mall, lots of places, and I'm at those places fairly regularly.

Anyway back to the fcc thing, I think that's a cool thing because people won't be as likely to stay with a crappy company because they don't feel like giving everyone a new phone number. So people will be more likely to go for better service and stuff when they get the chance. It will make wireless providers work a lot harder to get your money which will make us win in the end.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Surely you guys aren't just now finding out about this?????

Nope, it was talked about a long time ago, I'm just happy its going to happen.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:57 PM   #8
mylittlecivic

Hey trev wahts your number? I like my number alot too i dont want to change it.

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
Hey trev wahts your number? I like my number alot too i dont want to change it.

lol, that sounded more like "i lost my ph #. can i have yours ? "

Old 11-12-2003, 08:28 AM   #10
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
hmmm, yeah I only have a one year deal with Sprint. Did they raise new contracts up to two?

No, but to get their "deals" you usually need to sign 2 year. Like get $50 off a phone for 1 year contract, or $100 or $150 for 2 year contract......so the phone is cheap w/2 year but expensive with 1 year....they sucker you into it.

The downside I see to the number portability is that it'll probably start causing telemarketing a**f**kers to call cell phones and use the bs excuse "we didn't know it was a cell phone." Thank god for the DNC list.

The wireless telecoms so far have been wooing new customers strongly, many times at the expense of their existing customers. I'm curious to see whether they're going to focus more on existing customers now, or still try to woo new ones so badly.

Unfortunately for me I definitely can't get a deal with any other wireless provider for any less than what I pay now. I never pay over $33 final cost (after taxes, etc.) of the month for 600/3000@8 and wireless web. I don't know of anybody who can give me a price that good.

b
Old 11-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

im not under contract anymore with my cell.... so if this is as good as it seems... maybe im gonna switch carriers

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
HndaTch627

just an FYI you will be PAYING $1.10 service fee every month for this option....that's on EVERY line. it'll be good but at the same time it's going to be one hell of a nightmare for phone operation.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:58 PM   #13
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by HndaTch627
just an FYI you will be PAYING $1.10 service fee every month for this option....that's on EVERY line. it'll be good but at the same time it's going to be one hell of a nightmare for phone operation.

I've already been paying that for the last few months.

#$@#$ Sprint bastards. I pay over 23% taxes and fees on my service, it's just ridiculous.

b