Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
AndrewGTR86

Exclamation Need advice about car

Ok,
I just turned 17 an found a 95 civic dx hatch with a b16 from a civic si with 67k miles. Has air intake A1 exaust, And strut bar an some other stuff. They are asking 3200 for it. I almost have that an they said they would what till I have the money. Do yall think it is a good deal. What should I look for. An is 67k miles to much? An if I get it what should I do to make fast for 1/4 mile racing? Do you all think it will be reliable. How fast is a stock civic hx hatch with a b16 si swap. 0-60 an quarter mile.

Thank you,
If I get the car I'll post pics soon
Old 11-04-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
AndrewGTR86

It is a automatic tranny
Old 11-04-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
MAXed Out
6th Gear

ah it's not that slow but if it's auto tranny u can kiss speed goodbye. I would buy cause it's great deal and then have the tranny swapped out of it. if u want speed.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

a car like that, with that kind of price was probably beat on quite a bit
(I wouldnt buy a used "tuner" car)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Yeah but it's got a b16 in it. how old do u think it has been in there for. Plus what is the point even if it is beat up ANDREWGTR86 is gonna beat on it. Its a good first car bro.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

any time since 92
Old 11-04-2003, 06:22 PM   #7
Loki

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
a car like that, with that kind of price was probably beat on quite a bit
(I wouldnt buy a used "tuner" car)

Yeah I totally agree with pdigg here. Even if you do plan on beating on it, I honestly wouldn't want something that was previously beat on. I would rather have that much more time to beat on the thing instead of not knowing how much more of a beating this car could take. Honda makes great engines but they aren't indestructable and I've seen people destroy some nice cars like car ruining was their job.

About this 95 DX, I haven't stayed all that current on used car prices but that does seem a bit cheap. And a lot of things that sound too good to be true usually are. Try to find out why they are getting rid of it, find out who did the engine swap, and test drive it. If you can't tell if the thing feels quite right you can probably find another civic to test drive to compare. AndrewGTR86, I'm sure you're excited about it, there is a chance that it could be a very good car still and hopefully that is the case. Hopefully I'm not being too discouraging. Good luck with it.

As far as performance goes, this is off the top of my head so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, the b16 in the si coupe did 0-60 in somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-7.5 sec and the quarter mile in the high 15's. I don't know how much the automatic slows down a civic since I've never driven a manual civic or ridden in one. The hatchback does weigh less so I would imagine performance numbers in the neighborhood of what the coupe did with the auto. But I don't know how much the auto slows down the car and I don't know about the engine wear either.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #8
VR4_Craver
Banned

sounds like a nice deal....but there should be some reason for giving it up that bad. But it could happen. My friend just bought a 1986 Iroc Z28 with hooker headers, flowmaster duals, 4barrel carb, some other stuff and the time slip that shows that car running low 13s for 5500...so maybe they just dont know what they have.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm i dunno about you but i wouln't want a premoded car. i think most of the fun comes from working on it

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

^agreed...doing it yourself is more than 85% of the fun of owning such a car
Old 11-04-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
MAXed Out
6th Gear

I didn't say that doing it your self is not fun i said that it would be a good deal for the car.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:22 PM   #12
AndrewGTR86

Ok this is the car im talking about everyone look an tell me waht you think Im not sure but I think somthing is wrong with tha front or the hood what could it be

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...&src=&cid=null
Old 11-04-2003, 10:23 PM   #13
AndrewGTR86

Oh an how much would it cost to make it a manual trans
Old 11-04-2003, 11:49 PM   #14
CD5Passion

I agree with the two up there about not buying a premodded car, it just ruins the joy of getting a slow car and making it quick. to get a feel of what it should feel like and then what all your hard earned money does for it. I like to bolt on something and feel that difference that my saving cash makes, it's a rush and it can be known that I and no one else touched the bad boy.
Plus it seems that if someone is dropping that car for that price, assuming the b16 costed 2/3's of that price for the car, I wouldn't do it. I'd say find a car that is STOCK STOCK STOCK and MOD MOD MOD. Therefore any hidden suprises won't whip you in the eye.

P.S. - But that's just my opinion, do what you feel
Old 11-05-2003, 07:21 AM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Acura_86
I didn't say that doing it your self is not fun i said that it would be a good deal for the car.

like you are doing your own work on the car besides vacuming and washing it

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:32 PM   #16
VR4_Craver
Banned

that manual tranny wont be hard if you can do it yourself but you could probably have it done for what 1k?
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM   #17
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

easy.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #18
DumbMoFo

Maybe it's the picture, but something looks off about the front end of the car.

For one thing, why is that front bumper black? Is it a part of a kit that wasn't painted, or is it a replacement bumper (accident?)?

Also, I don't see the point of buying a modded car. Buy a car and mod it yourself.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #19
Civickid0to60

yo acura 86 why you dissing auto trannies man? with my old engine fully stock i ran a 15.1, now i am trashing that time, (not officially yet), but dont be dissing, i just beat a GTI VR6 tonight (yes a 5 speeder). will be in kill stories tommorow. dont be hatin dawg. lol.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 PM   #20
nonovurbizniz

auto trannies for honda's more specifically SUCK... you can get some stuff for them through z10... but even then I think they're pretty crappy...

A manual swap won't be easy to do... and it won't be cheap either...

First off you're not going to find a shop that will handle it ALL for you... you're going to have to order/find ALL the parts (clutch master, slave, lines, pedal/assembly, (I'm not positive but you may either need an ecu or need to rig stuff to make it work with that auto tranny (nor any of it's sensors) there) AND most importantly tranny)....

THEN you run into WHAT tranny to get... if you go cheap you'll regret it... a b16a MAY do... but ideally you should try to get a usdm type R at LEAST ... prefereably the jdm ITR or CTR tranny (again do your research BEFORE buying anything... I'm not 100% on the differences...)...

You ideally want a tranny with short gears, LSD, and a high final drive...

A good itr/ctr tranny will cost near 1000 bucks... so a grand for the whole thing is a little off... you could MAYBE get it done for that much if you went with a less suitable tranny... like the GSR or if you're really a glutten for punishment the LS... which would be just pointless imo.... but even then getting all those parts and getting it installed I can't see happening for 1k...

And as far as the not buying a previously owned tuner car... I wouldn't have a problem with that at all... if you know what you're doing you can spot ghetto work REAL fast... that and a decent test drive will give you a VERY good impression of the state of the car...

This particular car sounds like a decent deal as long as you have an extra 1-2k for anything that may pop up...

Oh and If you buy it I would NOT recomend swithching to the manual first thing... I'd drive it for a couple of months (while I was doing research on what parts I wanted and shopping around for the best price) to see how it runs and give it time to blow up if that's (known immenent failure) the reason the current owner is selling it.

good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:07 PM   #21
nonovurbizniz

oh and I'd get as MANY details about the swap and it's origin and who did it before buying...

Oh and find out if he has a copy of the title from the donor car... carfax that vin and make sure it does have the milage he said it did on it (and to be sure it's legit) also check his cars milage. If the swap is done legally it should be noted in carfax... or with dmv...
Old 11-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #22
Civickid0to60

or you can just buy a car with a 5-speed.