::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #1
SYNCHRO

O2 sensor

I am trying to replace the primary oxygen sensor on my civic, but the pig tail won't come out of the harness. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
JDMB16

are you pushing the little tab down and then pulling?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

heh, yeah mine was really stuck on there too (i assume youre pushing the tab)...I ended up cutting off the damn bracket and then I was able to separate the plugs...the I just ziptied it back to its place
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
JDMB16

what I did with ones that were stuck kinda when I did my swap is I took a flathead screwdriver, pused the tab down with my finger and put the screwdriver in the middle where the piggy tail and harness connect and pry them apart (be careful when doing this as not to break it)
Old 04-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
chahonda

yes they tend to difficult at times!
Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #6
SYNCHRO

Yeah, I'm tired of thinking about it. I have to replace the oxygen sensor, which is $475 from Honda, and Auto Zone and places like that don't have this sensor, so I have to go to Honda. I need to replace the timing belt too, and the cost of both of those is the cost of a new engine. I've made up my mind, I'm buying a new low mileage motor for a new turbo project. I'm finally going to do it. I have the funds for a new motor right now, but not quite for the turbo, but I'm going low compression motor though. Woo Hoo!!
Old 04-11-2003, 07:10 AM   #7
JDMB16

you have to be kidding me man, that much for an O2 sensor is ridiculous and should not be payed. Dude, I assure you that your local Autozone, Napa, TrakAuto or whatever you have, has the O2 sensor, if not, they can get it for you from their warehouse. Believe me, they have it, the person you talked to is probably just a lazy ass and didn't feel like finding it.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:06 AM   #8
pdiggitydogg

Dealerships totally scam you on O2 sensors...I know for a fact that you can find them for almost 1/2 that online (hparts.com, etc)
Yeah timing belts are very expensive...but not THAT much (I just got one a little while ago) I know that it was under $500 installed.

So w/ those 2, I see a MAX of $7xx...not $3000-$4000

ok, I dont know if you have an EX or an LX/DX so here are both links
EX O2
DX/LX/CX

There now, even if your local shops dont have them...you can get it for less than dealership.

Dude...whoever told you that these 2 things would cost even $2000 was insane...or didnt know what they were talking about.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:29 AM   #9
SYNCHRO

Well, my particular O2 sensor is the only 5 wire sensor that they make for the Civic..I have the HX. There is a place online that I can get it for $300, but Auto Zone and all those places have it wrong in their books. I've ordered every sensor that they have, and they are all 4 wire sensors, and none of them fit in the harness at all.
The engine that I'm talking about is coming from a person that I know that did a swap himself. He has a EX motor with appr. 50,000 miles on it that he is selling to me for $400. I'm using my own tranny and clutch since they are brand new for now, and when it's time for boost I'll change the clutch or what-not and maybe some of the internals...don't know how much boost I'll run yet....prolly only about 5-7 pounds.
Believe me, I've tried all the sensors...none of them work. I'd have to go with dealership, or that one website that I found.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

well alright man...if thats what you think you need to do...but I would really order it from that catalog (sorry the links cannot be direct)
they do have HX stuff too (yeah it costs more)

but as long as the y8 that youre getting is in good shape and compression checks out ok, then you wont have to change the internals if youre only going to be running that level of boost...any more than 9 and I would get new stuff