Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Silent Hill

So I watched this movie last night and I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed. No, I've never played the game...but any good video game movie doesn't require playing the game to get the full context. So here's a few of the issues in the minus column:

- The beginning feels like the middle. There's no setup at all as to why what's going on is going on. The horrible part is that you feel like you've fallen into the middle of a movie that's still 2 hours long. *sigh*

- The ending is total crap. It's ambiguous, thoughtless, and above all an attempt to be ethereal when it isn't called for.I imagine this is the point where the screenwriter ran out of ideas and just whipped it out and pissed all over the last few pages of the script.

- The film moves around so nonsensically that it's almost impossible to figure out what's real and what's not the first time you watch it. Is the girl the crazy woman's daughter or not? Who the fuck is the other crazy girl? Why the hell does that cop have the bull-dyke haircut? Why is that guy from "The Island" (the investigator) in this movie in the first place? Who the fuck is the dude with the huge sword?

Now for some pluses:

- There is a noteable lack of CGI in a video game movie. The crazy bugs and a few other things like the fog were CGI'ed, but for the most part it was practical effects. Bravo.

- For once, Sean Bean doesn't play a bad guy or a good guy who gets killed in the first 15 minutes. Few movies can claim this.

- Rahda Mitchell may look even hotter as she gets older. She looks way better than she did in Pitch Black...and that was 6 years ago.

- The last scene in the church is immensely awesome. I can say this because I am myself immensely awesome. It's just a shame that it all fell apart after that.

All in all not a bad little flick (ok...it could've easily shaved a half hour off of it's time and not missed a beat, but whatever), but I still recommend seeing "An American Haunting" instead. After my suprise that people had heard nothing about this, I did a little searching. The movie doesn't come out until 5/05. How did I get a copy? No idea...but I rule so hard.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

My thoughts on it were pretty similar, but I did like the whole part about the girl....even though the rest of the movie was pretty insane.
The girl on the bed was the crazy woman's daughter, the little girl was born being the only good part left of her (however that works, I dont know or even really care) but thats why she looked the same. The crazy girl is just a demonic part of the girl or a demon that chose to look like her.

And come on Steve, we all know you rule so hard
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Mischief

Everyone I talked to that's played the game say the movie is directly based on the game.. not any of this doom shit where they just take the name from it.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote