::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
msvtec14

What if?

Say some fool smashes into me and ruins part of my body kit or something aftermarket. It's his fault and his insurance co is going to pay for it. What's going to happen to my body kit? Do they think that they're just going to throw on a stock bumper when the other bumper and the rest of it is a kombat kit? Because I'm not going to get played like that and neither is my car. Has anything like this happened to anyone? Is there some sort of insurance that I can get to protect my aftermarket mods?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
cashizslick

Ummm - tough one, you should call your insurance company.

You didnt get into an accident did you?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Ummm - tough one, you should call your insurance company.

You didnt get into an accident did you?

No. No accidents. Knock on wood. Just wondering. I was told by a friend that lives in Hartford that I would't be able to leave my car alone near his house because it would get stripped of everything. That's what sorta motivated my question too. What if stuff gets stolen?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
Jufranpnoy
1st Gear

when my friend got a tv/dvd player in his bmw, i asked if what if the car was stolen. does insurance cover that. he didnt know and was curious so he asked his insurance company. the rep there said that anything he buys for the car and is installed is covered. he would just have to provide receipts and whatnot. so he keeps his receipts and has actually taken pics of all his mods on/in the car. hope that helps
Jufranpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
msvtec14

I've been taking pics of my car all along. But I'm going to take a pic of each mod specifically. And in addition to that, I've saved all my reciepts too. But thanks for the pic advice.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:31 PM   #6
ShEaNy

the insurance should cover it....it does here especially when its solen...in a accident u have to tell them what u have and show receits...u might have to pay a difference though....im not to sure..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
slowEJ6

custom insurance. if you want all the custom stuff on your car covered, get it. you'll end up paying more but thats the price you pay for modding cars.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
DumbMoFo

It should be covered. However, the repairs probably won't happen as quickly at a body shop, as the kit pieces might take longer to arrive in comparison to pieces that are in stock.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
slowEJ6

should be!
insurance doesnt have to cover an aftermarket part. if they give you money cuz you have receipts, they are being nice.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
msvtec14

Does anyone have Progressive? I'm going to call them and make an inquiry about this. Do you think that will make my insurance go up? I think it will be an issue with my normal insurance co. When I picked my car up from the body shop I had to sign this release and have it notarized. It basically says that I'm aware that the modifications that I have done to my car make it no longer legal for street use and that it is for show only. Obviously, I still drive it though. But for some reason, I think that would be an issue. My dad mentioned something about the car being a "collectable" on the coverage because that's how my bro's Grand National is listed too and I know there are a few things about that car that make it illegal also. We just had all these insurance issues when my Neon got totaled because they thought that I shouldn't be able to get a rental because we have other cars too. I think the best thing would be to look into custom insurance. Would that be just insuring the customized work and parts or would it be like my normal insurance that covers driving and all that?
Thanks, Melissa.