.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
Chi-town EX

what is the best time of year to tint windows??

i have a 98 accord and i was wondering what the best time to tint windows is because i heard in certain seasons the tint would bubble so i'm not really sure when to do it. Well since i'm in chicago we only have two seasons and that's winter and summer, so which is better?? Also would it effect my radio reception since my antenna is on the back window?? thank you
Old 06-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

if the tint is good qualty you shouldn't worry about seasons. if it's cheap and you already done it, in the season for bubbling it will fall off. i woudn't worry about the reception thou.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
KMR

In Phoenix, AZ it's 113 degrees today, so I'd say anytime is the best time around here. I've had tint put in the winter here (temp around 70 degrees) and in the summer when it's over 100 degrees and I'd had zero problems with bubbling.

I agree to find a good shop that uses quality film. I only get lifetime warranty film.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #4
spoogenet

Summer.

Using good film is essential for a variety of reasons. The main reason I say summer is that your tint will settle down much more quickly when it's hot outside. When shops put on tint they use tons of water since it activates the glue....this water will create little pockets and will dry up eventually. The hotter it is outside the less time it takes. I've still got one water bubble left and it's been over 2 months since I had that window done....my back window was done in the winter and it dried up in about a week. Dunno why the side is taking so long.

The real problem with bubbling is when tint gets old it has a tendency to bubble....basically the glue breaks down and it doesn't stick as well. Good films come with a lifetime warranty that guarantee against bubbling of the tint.

I wouldn't expect you to have problems with antenna reception. I certainly haven't, and I don't know anyone who has.

b
Old 06-26-2002, 11:14 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i know somebody that uses a heat gun for the film jsu t to make it dry really fast.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:20 AM   #6
cutiepy701

I don't think It really matters, I just got my windows tinted about 3 weeks ago. It was about 70. Most good places gaurantee there tint anyway from bubbling. By the way chi-town, we arent too far apart. WI here. I here there is a big car show on Saturday. You going to it??
Old 06-27-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
Chi-town EX

thank you guys for your replys cuteypy, yes there is is a carshow this saturday. I think it's hot import nights or something but i doubt i will be going because i have to work
Old 07-05-2002, 08:44 PM   #8
JudoAnt
1st Gear

Do it in the summer. The tint will expand and settle in much better with the heat. If you go with a higher end tint that has no die it is a huge advantage to do it in the summer heat.
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:38 PM   #9
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by JudoAnt
Do it in the summer. The tint will expand and settle in much better with the heat. If you go with a higher end tint that has no die it is a huge advantage to do it in the summer heat.

Just what do you mean? I know the tint will settle much better....but the expanding? See I've got Quantum HP 37 in my ride, and the windows seems a little more grainy than I would have expected them to be. I had the installations mostly done in the cooler weather, although I had one window redone in warmer weather, but not quite the hot summer. Probably in the 70's when I had it done.

The grain isn't a real problem, it's more noticeable at night than during the day, and I mainly notice it when looking at my driver's side mirror.

If this is something that settles out with heat.....will it settle out in the future? It's around the 90's these days, and will get to 100's by August.

b
Old 07-09-2002, 04:37 PM   #10
JudoAnt
1st Gear

Since the quantum hp has no die the metal takes longer to settle. The hotter your car the quicker the metal tint can adhere to the glass. The tint will not really expand much, but it does make it more loose. The quantum is a fairly firm tint and the heat makes it more plyable. With all this said, seasons and temperature should'nt matter as much as a good experienced installer , especially with metal based tints.
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 09:26 AM   #11
spoogenet

So do you know anything about the grain?

A buddy of mine had his car done at the same shop and he got the cheapest tint they had, his is crystal clear, looks like factory tint. I haven't checked out enough other cars with the Quantum films to see how they look, but mine has a noticeable grain. It's not too bothersome, but I'd prefer crystal clear.....

I just want to find out if they screwed up, if I should have waited until summer (although they told me the only difference in seasons would be how long it takes the water bubbles to go away), or if that's just how the Quantum films are.

b