::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
King Shard

Some more TURBO questions

Alright, hmmmm im starting to get this turbo knowledge down pack but i still have some loop holes to fill.Alright what type of things can you do to your engine to ensure that your engine wont blow out or have any complecations due to a turbo(basically how can i make it strong and take more psi) and does the turbo work all the time as you drive or only as you get to higher speeds or something like that. Im guessing it casual makes your car faster.....
Old 08-18-2002, 08:48 PM   #2
AzCivic

keeping the boost down will keep the engine from blowing.
To make it handle more boost you'll have to replace the pistons, rods, sleeves with stronger ones. This can get very expensive.

The farther you press the pedal the faster the turbo will spin making more boost til the wastegate opens.

EDIT: correction the farther you press the pedal the more fuel and air will be sucked into the engine thereby creating more exhaust flow and consequently the turbo spins faster with this increase of exhaust, making more boost.

Last edited by AzCivic : 08-20-2002 at 12:18 AM.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:36 PM   #3
King Shard

oh i see so there is no specific gear in which the turbo will just hit.....throwing your car in the road?
Old 08-19-2002, 12:18 AM   #4
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Boost pressure has no direct relation to how far the throttle is depressed. The amount of boost produced has to do with how much exhaust is flowing through the turbo, and therefore how high your RPMs are. True, you'll never reach the top end of your rev range without WOT, but you also won't produce peak boost (if any) at 2000 RPM at WOT.

Most "bolt-on" turbo kits will work just fine with the stock motor- obviously, or else they wouldn't be bolt on. They don't produce enough boost to endanger the engine (up to 8 psi). Past that, building the engine for turbo would be advisable.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
AzCivic

RPM's are in direct relation to how far the pedal is pushed, the farther down, the higher the RPM's, the more exhaust is created. Therefore how can the boost not be directely related to how far the peddle is pushed(its a generalization to help someone understand). If you're at 2k rpms and then slam on the gas your not going to be at 2k rpms and WOT for more than a split second.
Or am i missing something?
Old 08-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You're missing something.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #7
AzCivic

What would that be????????????????????????????????????
Old 08-19-2002, 08:10 PM   #8
Boosted3g

basically the longer you stay in WOT the more you will boost until you either hit redline and you have to shift, you reach your desired boost level and maintain there, or you blow your motor. Not only will time but also gear play a part in the boost levels. I can only make like 10 psi in first gear but put me in 3rd or 4th and i can crank it up over 30 psi. Basicly it will work with you. The harder you push it the more it rewards you.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #9
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Okay, we'll try this.

Let's say you hit the throttle, and go to WOT from a standstill. At 2000 RPM, you're at WOT. When you hit redline, you're still at WOT. Is the boost the same? Of course not. If you put the pedal to the floor from a standstill, are you going to be producing max boost at 2000 RPM, even if your foot is on the floor? Of course not.

The amount of boost produced is dependant upon how fast the turbine is spinning, which is driven by exhaust gasses- NOT the throttle pedal, throttle body, etc, etc.

Also, by the WOT=full boost theory, Boosted isn't running at WOT until 3rd or 4th gear. Strange drag race strategy, IMO. This also brings up rotational inertia and how it isn't a concept reserved for rolling stock, but that's another thread. For more info on that, go to "How to Figure Out..." a great sticky, BTW- good job, Boosted.

Indirectly, yes, obviously putting the pedal to the floor will rev the engine higher, thus producing more exhaust gasses, which will in turn exit the engine, drive the turbine, and produce boost. However, your earlier post clearly stated that boost was a direct product of how far the throttle pedal is depressed, which is far from accurate.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:14 AM   #10
AzCivic

Alright Alright, i was just trying to explain it without getting all technical. I should have spelled it out like you have done, but I'm lazy. Thanks for the explanation of what I was trying to say.