Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
hondabob

Absolute needs for a Turbo?

HEllo all,

I am thinking of getting a Greddy turbo for my '96 Civic Ex, and am still unclear about what I need to start. Do I need a turbo timer, BOV, boost controler, and boost gage? Thanks. I am trying to scrape by with the bare essentials for now, to upgrade later to an innercooler and others. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
turbod97ex

Re: Absolute needs for a Turbo?

Quote:
Originally posted by hondabob
HEllo all,
I am thinking of getting a Greddy turbo for my '96 Civic Ex, and am still unclear about what I need to start. Do I need a turbo timer, BOV, boost controler, and boost gage? Thanks. I am trying to scrape by with the bare essentials for now, to upgrade later to an innercooler and others. Thanks!

You don't need anything but the kit. I ran without a boost gauge or turbo timer for 2-3 weeks after my install and was fine. I did install an intercooler and oil cooler and BOV at the same time I installed my turbo kit which you don't have to but all are helpful to prolong your turbo life.

Just make sure that you run at stock boost and get the boost gauge and BOV first, followed by the boost gauge, and then the turbo timer. You need to know what is happening and what boost you are running and the boost controller will help eliminate boost spikes and make your turbo spool up quicker. My TurboXS MBC did and was only $80.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #3
Boosted3g

I would recommend all of the above except for the turbo timer. They are just a waste of money. If you cant give your car 1 minute before you turn your car off then you should have a turboed honda because you dont deserve it. During this minute talk to your car and give it a little pat on the dash when its cooling down. Trust me this will work, i always like to have a little quiet time with my car before i head down the track.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #4
turbod97ex

LOL. That's right and you can listen to your own tunes instead of that annoying jingle from the turbo timer.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
Maxvla

listening to you guys talkin turbo makes me want a 5th gen lude turboed. dangit. i want one.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:17 PM   #6
turbod97ex

If you turbo your accord you will be verrry happy. I have a buddy that turbo'd his 98 accord and does 12 second 1/4 miles. Have you looked into it?