::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2002, 01:01 AM   #1
AzCivic

Sohfast Lightened Flywheel

Well I finally replaced my clutch(with a Exedy OEM) with the help of 2 friends and while I was in there I went ahead and put in a lightened flywheel(10lb) from www.Sohfast.com. Its a factory flywheel that has been lightened, balanced, and resurfaced. It cost $140 plus a $60 refundable core charge. When the flywheel came in the mail the first thing I noticed is that it felt kinda heavy, so I weighed it, and it did weigh 10lbs.

The clutch job and flywheel install went rather smooth( I was ready for the worst) and took approx. 7-8hrs, it was a big help having 2 friends that had already done this. So with the help of a helms manual we tackled the job with almost no problems(THANK GOD!).

At about 8pm my time I started the engine and everything sounded fine(WHEW!), I revved the engine, still nothing weird except the engine revs faster, nothing crazy like Gran Turismo or anything but a definite difference. Then I put it in gear and there was a weird noise, I was like oh god whats wrong! But it was nothing to worry about just the new clutch breaking in, after a couple of times engaging the clutch the noise quickly went away.

So I take it around the block for a slow test drive and everything is fine, so off to my home I go.

My experience so far is this: the engine revs quicker(not crazy fast), the car accelerates faster (again nothing insane but a noticeable difference), I still gotta break in the clutch so I couldn't drive it too hard. The revs DO NOT drop that much faster, a little but again nothing absurd. Also the car doesn't seem to slow as much when its in gear and I let off the gas when compared to the stock flywheel.
These are my experiences with only 20mins of driving.
I'll write more when I get more driving time tomorrow.

Overall this is a very good mod for someone who wants better acceleration(who doesn't?), but replace the clutch at the same time and kill 2 birds with one stone.

By the way the stock flywheel weighs 18lbs, on my car at least.

Last edited by AzCivic : 01-20-2003 at 09:01 PM.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Thanks for the good info. I considered getting a flywheel there when I did my clutch, but I decided not to go with one that was shaved from stock.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:57 PM   #3
AzCivic

I was thinking of going with an aftermarket one but I didnt want to spend too much $ on this engine.
I really dont think that it'll really matter unless your making quite a bit of HP, which i dont plan on doing with my D16. I also asked them if it'll hold with a 50HP shot of nitrous and they seem confident that everything will be ok. But if you got the dough, more power to ya.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
a96710

My Dad told me he had an aluminum flywheel on his Vette and he put on something around it called a shatter guard cause the flywheel is so light if it brakes you're screwed. I wanna put an aluminum flywheel on when I replace my clutch which I hope should be very soon
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
AzCivic

Corvette---Honda. Totally different HP ratings.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:29 PM   #6
ShagginJet

GJ Az... Good info to know.... Will do, but umm, have an automatic right now. When i do my engine swap i was planning on putting in a heavier clutch and maybe doing the fly wheel. I'll be doing the auto-manual swap at tthe same time too. Gonna have a shop do it though, that way if anything is frucked up i can blame them.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 11:43 PM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagginJet
GJ Az... Good info to know.... Will do, but umm, have an automatic right now. When i do my engine swap i was planning on putting in a heavier clutch and maybe doing the fly wheel. I'll be doing the auto-manual swap at tthe same time too. Gonna have a shop do it though, that way if anything is frucked up i can blame them.

Thanks. Good luck on the swap!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
Corvette---Honda. Totally different HP ratings.

What he's saying though is not a bad thing. I don't remember the limit, but to race on drag strips you have to have one. NHRA rules.