.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2002, 04:14 AM   #1
darkdaedra

vtec equivalents on other Japanese cars?

A friend of mine has been giving me shit about my vtec engine. He says that vtec is crappy and that it's a cheap immitation of stuff that both Nissan and Toyota have had for over 10 years. I don't know that much about Nissans and Toyotas so I really couldn't say much. But is this true that vtec is not an original creation of Honda's? And what exactly does vtec do and how does it differ from i-vtec?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:57 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the first car to have vtec was the 90 acura nsx, then in 92 it started to be on in the cheaper cars too. as for the other japanese cars i think the had variable valve timing a lot later.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:36 AM   #3
ShEaNy

yup ur freind has no idea whats he talking about..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 06:01 PM   #4
darkdaedra

Hehe. I'll tell him that.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:31 PM   #5
Honda530

The only company that really stands apart from the rest with valve timing is BMW all the vtec i-vtec vvti dont compare to their technology. But anyways your friends a moron so dont worry about it.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #6
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
The only company that really stands apart from the rest with valve timing is BMW all the vtec i-vtec vvti dont compare to their technology. But anyways your friends a moron so dont worry about it.

How does BMW do it that differs so much?

b
Old 11-24-2002, 01:59 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

don't forget ferrari with a 3d cut lobe. it offers infinite variable valve timing

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:15 PM   #8
CB7 Driver

Yeah honda was first to put variable valve timing on a production car, i'm pretty sure it was developed in F1 but i really don't remember if it was so don't quote me on that. Anyway toyota and nissan both started putting VV technology on their cars after honda. Toyota's system has always been a better system than honda's because their vvt-i system has always been continuously variable on the intake side, honda just put out i-vtec, which as you know is continuously variable on the intake side. It's just that toyota doesn't make as big a deal as honda does.

BMW's double VANOS system is continuously variable on both the intake and exhaust cams.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:56 AM   #9
spoogenet

I like Ferarri's system. Too bad it's not on my anytime soon.

One problem with Toyota's system though is the i part. Sure VVTi may be a decent variable valve timing system, but the "intelligence" that they put into the system can be a huge nuissance. It can also be a benefit, it just depends on your driving style.

I guess the i doesn't have so much to do with valve timing as it does with A/F mixture, at least from what I understand.

b