::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
blind34_1

Fun Traffic Encounter

So today I'm driving down a street I know pretty well. Its one of those where, after a stoplight it begins to merge into one lane (right lane ends, left lane continues). There are a lot of these in my town, and I know where most of them are at. So in THINKING AHEAD, I go ahead and get in the left hand lane before I stop at the stoplight. There is plenty of traffic in both lanes, and I am about three cars back.

The light changes, some cars make a right into the pharmacy on the corner, which is the only thing before the lane reduction. Then some ghetto cruiser starts edging into my lane (left lane). After being about 1/4 into the lane he signals his obvious intention of being an idiot, and doesn't even look. His passenger looks back at me as I'm roasting my tires and brakes trying to avoid slamming into this genius. I didn't hit him, but guess what? He stops! What is his thought process? He has now stopped all traffic, I'm staring at him, amazed at his stupidity, and his passenger is saying something and gestulating (couldn't tell what the gestures were). So I give both of them a one-fingered salute, smile and nod. They started rolling for a few feet and stopped again, when they noticed my finger. The passenger is riled up pretty good. The driver is informed of my opinion of his driving and he opens his door, like he's going to get out and beat my ass. The door stayed ajar, but nobody came out (could've been loading a gun, and telling his homie he's "finnah gonst to bust a cap in dis mofucka"). At this point, I'm like fuck this and sped around him. I was not about to hang around to watch this moron demonstrate his ignorance, or to have to defend myself against these two cretins. I turned onto the first sidestreet I could find, and turned a few more times to hide myself. I parked it and sat for a while, trying to calm down. (You now how you feel when you are almost in an accident or something, your knees feel weak, your hands shake, and you can't put the clutch in because your legs feel weak? thats why i pulled over, adrenaline was at full tilt) He didnt chase me, and I haven't seem him since.

Okay, now I want your opinion. Based on what I told you here, who was in the wrong? Me for not letting him over, or him for merging without looking? And after performing a bone-headed maneuver like that, would you not expect a middle finger thrown your way?

As I understand the rules of the road, when faced with a vehicle trying to merge, you should try to get into the far lane to allow him onto the right lane. In this case, this was not possible as it reduces to one lane. Is it not up to him to negotiate his lane change? Should I have stopped everyone else to let him over? I think what I did was right, but I would like to know all of your opinions.

Here is a small illustration of what went on:
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
drdingo21

i Would have got out and pumbled at least one of them.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
blind34_1

I'm more of the non-confrontational type. i'll fight to defend myself, but if i can leave, i will.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #4
juvenile

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
I'm more of the non-confrontational type. i'll fight to defend myself, but if i can leave, i will.

Exactly...why would you risk yourself if you don't necessarily have to.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
CD5Passion

hey I'm usually a nice drive if I see someone needs to get over and they follow the proper procedure of doing so (such as using a blinker) I'll let off the gas alittle and flash the lights to let them in....but when people intentionally stay in a merging lane just to get ahead of people I will do everything in my power and not let them get ahead of me.
now I also beleive that you going around them was a good idea because people are stupid and it's not worth trying to look tough to take a bullet, unless of course you're packing some heat aswell. people are ridiculous sometimes when it comes to that roadrage shit.
have you ever seen someoen in the median trying to make a turn and see how they stop when their front end only is in the middle lane, and traffic has to stop because they are too ignorant to realize their assend is obstructing traffic....sometimes I really have to just pull myself away from just plowing them and spinning their asses into oncoming traffic..and the best part would be that they would be at fault for obstructing traffic
Old 11-06-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
IALuder

you were right, in every way. i would have done the samething.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
blind34_1

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril

have you ever seen someoen in the median trying to make a turn and see how they stop when their front end only is in the middle lane, and traffic has to stop because they are too ignorant to realize their assend is obstructing traffic....sometimes I really have to just pull myself away from just plowing them and spinning their asses into oncoming traffic..and the best part would be that they would be at fault for obstructing traffic

exactly! Is this a new idea that has come about in the last few years or have people always done this turn lane/median crap? I remember seeing a few people do it way back in the day, and they did it CORRECTLY: Pull into the turn lane, assuming there is no one else in the lane trying to turn or whatever, and STOP, put blinker on, and wait your turn.

Nowadays, people pull into the turn lane and treat it like a third lane; they keep rolling. I guarentee they are watching their mirrors and not watching whats in front of them. I'm sure there are many accidents where they plow into someone trying to make a legit turn.

Or I see huge SUVs pull position themselves laterally in the median zone like you mentioned. I come to a stop and honk until they move. They don't understand that they have this huge rear end, and they have no clue on how to handle it. I mean, do they ever consider just making a right, then a left on the next street, turn around in a driveway, then another right? But I suppose that would be too much trouble, its easier to inconvenience others than put a little extra effort in driving.

and thanks all for your input, i feel a little better knowing im not alone in the war against ass-drivers.