::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2002, 10:31 PM   #1
98AcoordBoomBox

Alarm Question

I got a 98 Accord LX 4cyl, and i found out the hard way that it has the immobilizer....er i guess i found out what the immobilizer does today when i gave someone a hardware store copy of my key to do some work on the car and they couldn't get the thing started.

Well anyway my question is if i get an alarm for the car I'm thinkin of gettin the Viper 300ESP cause i had that on my last car, will it work ok with the immobilizer...i mean the two won't affect each other and not be able to start my car or something? also if i get starter kill with my alarm do you have to do anything with the immobilizer for it to work, cause I like the immobilizer it seems pretty cool. I dunno if i made any sense but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant
Old 04-04-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

an alarm has nothing to do with the immobolizer, a remote starter on the other hand does.. The starter kill won't affect it either...
-Brandon
Old 04-05-2002, 01:01 AM   #3
98AcoordBoomBox

sweet thanks man thats the answer i was looking for.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:42 AM   #4
BrandonClaps

;]
Old 04-05-2002, 08:54 AM   #5
spoogenet

Talk to the installers and make sure they're a regular DEI installer and they don't try to jack you. I've had a shop tell me that to put in a Viper alarm with NO remote start (like the 600, 500, and 300 ESP models) they would have to disable the factory immobilizer system. That's total crap. The immobilizer only is disabled for remote start, as Brandon pointed out.

b
Old 04-05-2002, 11:08 AM   #6
BrandonClaps

the only way that i know of disabling the immobilizer is takin the customers extra key and putting it right next to the key solonoid.... When they do the remote start they MUST disable the immobolizer but ONLY during remote start sequence. Depending on the immobolizer (vats, passlock I, passlock II, passlock III/transponder) the customers extra key may be required and it's put into a module and the module is hidden in the dash and there is a wire that is wrapped around the key and another wire that goes up and wraps around the key solonoid and when the remote start is going to start it sends the signal of the key to it. Some are easier, that you just have to get the resistance of the key and do it that way, lots of different stuff.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:00 PM   #7
black95gs-t

well yeah thats the hard. relays can get you around almost anything though. this way you don't need to waste the spare key. but it will totally bypass the immobilizer.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:47 PM   #8
BrandonClaps

never totally bypass the immobilizer!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
black95gs-t

just out of curiosity. why? if the alarm already has a starter disabler, whats the harm?

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-17-2002, 11:29 PM   #10
BrandonClaps

starter disable is very easily bypassed, how do you think they start the car without a key? they touch 12v to the starter wire and just yank on the steering wheel to break it loose. The relay for the starter kill is usually within 1 foot of the key selonoid. If there is an immobolizer that has an encoded chip in the key, then why disable that. That protection is far better then just a starter kill.
-Brandon
Old 04-17-2002, 11:33 PM   #11
black95gs-t

i see. thanks for the info.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:23 AM   #12
Maxvla

good splainin' brandon.
i don't peek my head in too much in here but when i do youve always got it in top form.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:50 AM   #13
black95gs-t

i've got one more question. if you are adding a remote starter, is it even possible to keep the immobilizer and still have it do its job?

Old 04-18-2002, 01:14 PM   #14
BrandonClaps

you said you were in the business?

DEI makes modules and so do alot of other companys called Vats, Passlock I, Passlock II, Passlock III/transponder
these only bypass turning remote start.. so yes u can keep it
Old 04-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #15
black95gs-t

Interesting. The wiring of alarms is where I get confused. But as a salesman, I get to deal with all of the problems that people have with anything they buy from me. Remote starters are what I have the most problems with personally. I am still learning the install of alarms at my shop when I get bored. I don't mean to invade on your space, but info swap is the best way to learn. Hopefully I can pick up a few things from you. And you never know, you might actually pick up some info from me.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #16
BrandonClaps

i know all there is to about electronics and everything about cars you can't teach me anything!
Old 04-23-2002, 03:04 PM   #17
black95gs-t

everything huh?

Old 04-23-2002, 05:33 PM   #18
BrandonClaps

mmhhmmmmmm
Old 04-24-2002, 02:57 AM   #19
black95gs-t

good face choice.