View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 12:39 PM   #8
Batman

I tend to disagree. N/A b18c1/5 will not yield 200whp with those mods. .... Without rasing the redline??? ... are you nuts? Jun and Toda cams start to make power around 7800, there would be no reason for him not to raise the redline.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/andrij007/C...dyno_tuned.jpg
Here's what I came up with, and I have a lot more mods than what you've listed. My compression is at 11.7:1 (and you need that for any Jun or Toda cam to make power). The maps are conservative, but it gives you an idea, there is still some tuning left, however I don't think I will break 200whp barrier. Nevertheless 190whp is good enough for 14.0 in a coupe.

If you would like to run with Vette's only FI will do.
You can easily install a modest turbo kit under $5k. However, it will blow up eventually. To do it right you have to open the engine up and re-enforce everything.

IMO the best way to get 200whp is LS/Vtec or CRV-VTEC. This way you don't have to raise redline (because they block will not handle the RPM ... 8k is enough) and you can use cheap parts like b16a head and computer. Since you will have the head apart, you should Port and Polish the head at the least. Compression I would not go higher than 11.5:1 (this is pushing it), pump gas is not enough to keep it from detonating. Rollerwave pistons are not for everyday use, and will leak oil faster/more. CRV-VTEC is an excellent choice for making power. Again, having the crank offset 1mm larger than the b18c crank, this will not allow for high revs, but you can make plenty of power before 8k. Same idea and LS-VTEC except you have .15 more displacement.

Good luck,
~Andy

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
H22 is an excellent choice. The engine will be expensive, but should give you around 170 hp to the wheels. A friend of mine out here has a JDM H22 in his stripped out EG, and he outruns Vettes. With I/H/E, cams, valvetrain, and tuning, you should be able to hit 200 hp without too much trouble. Disadvantages- D16Z axles will snap under the H22's torque load from a standstill. Also, in a car that small, the weight difference and slightly higher center of gravity will be much more apparent- expect some body roll and sluggish handling.

You could also go B18C. The engine will be cheaper, but you also get some other advantages: The swap will be easier and parts are easier to find. In order to get a B18C to 200 hp, you'll need the following: I/E, JDM style 4-1 header, Endyn 11.0:1 Pistons, Jun or Toda cams and valvetrain, A/F and VTEC management. I think you could probably hit 200 hp without having to raise your redline. For just a little more work, you could probably hit 220 with just a blockguard, Endyn Rods, and a raised redline (9500 or so).