View Single Post
Old 11-04-2001, 05:02 PM   #22
2fcknfst

Yes, and no...

All honda motors have an open deck. This means that the top of the cylinders are not closed, thus can flex.

When you run an all motor application, air is utilized in a VACUM capacity... the engine can only take in so much air as cams (duration) will allow. This is what they are designed for, and how they can run obscene redlines with incredible reliability.

When you are to introduce forced induction into a open deck motor, it is concieveable that the greatly increased pressures will cause the cylinders to 'flex'. This is due to the fact that the motor was not designed to operate like this.

Consider the following: My ITR spins up to 9500rpm. Every component in the engine was taken apart, balanced and reassembled with new rings, seals etc. The components were balanced to 1/100th of a gram.

In order for this motor to retain true reliablity, things such as my cylinders cannot flex as much as a 1000th of an inch. If this is to occur, EVERY component (piston, rod, crank) is now being subjected to much greater stresses, amplified by the rotational masses of everything going round.

If I were to built a RELIABLE, high boost application, a great deal of attention will have to be paid to re-enforcing block, mains, cylinder head, and all rotating components.

In absolute terms, because Honda has spent millions upon millions of dollars developing their ALL MOTOR engines, it will be easier (and comparatively cheaper) to build a high strung all motor application. The B18C1 and C5 have lighter weight components in them already; not something that was designed for a boosted application.

My moto is, if someone else has proven that something works exceptionally well, why screw with it?

I costed doing a PROPER FI setup and it was considerably more than building the motor I have now. Incidently, my all motor setup puts down 190whp and has not had the cams dialed in properly. 200whp is right around the corner.

There is no question that forced induction will produce more power. The question is can it do so reliably.

The answer is yes, if you are going to do the job properly, research what it is you are trying to achieve, and move there in a sane well thought out fashion.

A side note: creating enourmas power does not make you faster; skill and a well sorted chasis does. I have gone up against people in much more powerful cars than me and still walked away from them.

Just my opinion...