View Single Post
Old 08-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

.....MY TAKE ON THIS TURBO ISSUE. providing that your car is in a decent condition for a turbo set-up, most maintenance are really common. i change my oil every 3000 miles like normal, but i use synthetic lube oil which is about twice the price of a regular oil change.

the GReddy turbo kit comes with an FCU (fuel control unit), otherwise known as black box (older model) or blue box (revised version). this device will prevent your stock ECU from reading boost therefore preventing CEL. it changes fuel scheduling on all 4 injectors to keep the car running "rich" while on boost status. this FCU pretty much semi-tunes your car for turbo set-up to avoid engine meltdown. this unit was just recently proven to support all the way up to 10 psi of boost setting. the dude hit mid 12's on his SOHC VTEC!.....with other additional mods ofcourse.

no intercooling necessary at 5.5 psi preset boost, unless you reside in a tropical area or hot location i.e. arizona dessert. ALTHOUGH, it is always nice and recommended to have one. i had one while @ 5.5 psi.

what the kit does NOT comprise WHICH i strongly recommend to have (at a minimum) are:
-boost gauge
-air/fuel ratio or EGT gauge
-turbo timer
-blow off valve

gotta have those gagues to monitor the set-up and efficiency.

Blow Off Valve will lengthen the life of the turbo by minimizing back spin during throttle body plate closure and minimize LAG. the closing of the throttle body will cause the compressed air to remain inside the charged pipe. compressed air will then rush back to the turbo and back spins it. the next time boost is demanded on the turbo, it will take longer for it to ratate on the right direction to fight the existing compressed air in the piping.....this is called transient LAG.

Turbo Timer, to elaborate on nonov's statement, let's the engine run at idle for a preset time which is normally no longer than 1 minute....i have mine set at 2 minutes just to be safer. it does not hook up to any electronics that involves the turbo. it connects to the key ignition wiring of your car. it's function is vital to the life of the turbo. it SLOWLY cools down the turbo and lubrication. as the engine runs at idle, it will sustain oil flow to the turbo, therefore flushing hot oil back to the oil pan vice maintaining hot oil on the turbo oil line and turbo shaft. if hot oil is retained in the oil line and turbo shaft, it will eventually cook itself....which means, it will solidify clogging up the oil line and freezing up the turbo shaft......it's a disaster that can easily be prevented. no big deal.

your exhaust noise should stay the same if not, it should decrease in sound. mine DID. for the most part, the turbine section will absorb the exhaust gas flow and turbulence.

installation of the GReddy kit is a piece of cake. do it yourself and save over $500. shiet, i'll do it for you for $100 and a 6 pack....of cherry coke. read my own fool proof written instructions:
page1: http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=105
Page2: http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=106

lastly, before you "up" the boost above 5.5 psi, be sure to conduct some research.......peace.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote