Thread: Head Swap
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
MissJDM

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Yeah...Lots and LOTS of people dislike ls/vtec and about the same number of people love it.
It really has gone a long way and become more reliable...but personally I wouldnt do it.
Wait for MissJDM to show up and give her thoughts. She's our resident b20/lsvtec queen

PAT, how sweet of you for the last comment. I'll forever remember it.

So I always thought it to be true that a b16a head flows 5.25% better [than the GSR] - simply allows more air - CFM. A type R head differs from the b16a because it's mildly ported and polished from factory itself and the cams/springs/retainers/valves are stronger..hence why the Type R revs at 9k while a b16a revs at 8200. I have a b20 myself, but decided to build from the bottom up so of course my "neccessities" may differ from your friend's. Aside from a COMPLETE [distibutor, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors etc] VTEC head, you'll need to relocate the dowel pins, plug the oil supply hole which is included in an oil line kit that is specifically for ls/b20VTEC conversions..[$75-125.], tap the head and use an ls head gasket.

So, lets refer to this Chart from Alaniz..who has built some of the fastest hondas around. You'll notice that the difference in flow isn't as drastic as said to be, but the difference of a few CFM here and there can easily be attributed to casting differences.

It's a controversial subject as I've heard opposing opinions. Take it as you wish..but keep in mind that the b16a head has a bigger combustion chamber over the GSR, 42.7cc to 41.6cc, which is one of the reasons it is the prefered head [+ it's lower in cost.]

That's all I can remember right now..then again I just got home less than an hour ago from working 9:45am-10pm.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b16vsgsrstock.jpg (52.2 KB, 35 views)

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote