View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

323 GT tops out @ 170MPH!

My bro came down from washington with a few stories. He has a Mazda 323 GT that was built and tuned in a shop in Northern CA. He purchased it from the shop about a year ago. Here's a little about the car:

1988 Model, only around 800 sold in the US ever.

Has JDM 1.8L GTX motor w/ 323 GTI head swap. Garret GT30R BB Turbo with a max boost of 1 Bar. Custom mated 94' Capri XR2 Transaxle w/ a naturall aspirated 626 5th gear swap. Custom 2 1/2 inch exhuast off the DP back to the exhuast tip. ABCR running boost management. RX-7 injectors and fuel pump. And a whole bunch of JDM goodies.

Here's what he posted on his forum:
Saturday is like any other day for me other than friday and sunday, I wake up tired, drive to work and slave for 11 hours of the day, then go home and repeat the process. On saturday mornings, there arent many cars on the highway here in Bremerton WA, just a couple of lolygagers attempting to drink coffee while cruising down the road. On the highways where I live there are 2 lanes each way(which isnt alot) and a nice 2-3 mile stretch that you can see clearly and the cars in front pretty good.

Well, most saturdays(any day for that matter), I am a conservative and responsible driver, but sometimes I like to let that turbo of mine wind up and boost me to 100mph in a quick stint to get me awake at 6:30 in the morning. I then ease off and stay at a slow freeway pace of 60mph till I reach my destination 7 miles later. This satuday was no exception, I let that gas pedal have it and stomp that pedal till it hits the floor, but something came over me telling me to faster, thus I did.

I shift into 4th close to 100mph and stay 1 bar of positive pressure all the way through that gear till I reach redline at 125+-mph. I continue to shift into 5th, gear changing seems fluid like and resposive, like the tranny is saying it wants more speed for it to swallow up, not letting up once. The motor at this time is begging to rev faster, pulling like a freight train and show no sign of slowing down.

My speedo at this time has gone past the 120mph mark and contines to make one full revolution on the dials, knowing that this instrument has become just an erratic speed counter now, I focus on the tach to let me know my terminal velocity. The car still pulling like it's been frightened by an enemy running on pure adrenaline, reaches its top regulated stock engine speed at 7000rpms, still wanting more. I glance at the speedo, it is sitting at a tick above 10mph.....how slow!

After returning to sane legal speed limits, I start to get my own sort of adrenaline rush that only auto power car enthusiasts get when going fast. It was a fun little test and don't plan on doing it ever unless I'm on the racetrack. I was thinking of different variables that could have happened, losing my license and going to jail, crashing my car and killing me in the process, crashing into another car and killing somone else. No fun might I say, horrible conseqences for going three times past the legal speed limit.

But back to what the whole topic was about, I like boosted cars, everyone should have one. I do believe I was redlined out at around 170mph, give or take a few mph. Pretty darn quick for a little ol' mazda 323. Take care guys and be careful.

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson
FlooredAccord is offline   Reply With Quote