Thread: forged rods
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
ShEaNy

Quote:
Originally posted by scottrtucker
The strength of the rods doesn't have anything to do with the pressures in the cylinder, so turbos put little extra stress on an engine especially at low boost pressures. The greatest loads in a reciprocating piston engine are tensile loads on the connecting rods when the piston is on its outward stroke, such as on the exhaust stroke (engines that fail at high RPM usually fail on the exhaust stroke).

Most rods are forged from the factory. Aftermarket rods usually use a higher quality steel that provides the rod with greater tensile strength. Tensile loads increase exponentially as engine RPM increases. Higher quality forged rods allow the engine to have a higher redline. They may also be lighter and held to tighter balance tolerances.

By themselves they do not increase horsepower. They do not increase horsepower unless you do other mods such as higher compression, stroker crank, turbo, or anything else that increases horsepower for that matter.

But . . .

There is one way that they can increase horsepower, though, without huge mods (new pistons are required, though) and that has to do with rod length. If anyone wants an explanation of that, reply to this post and I will write about it when I am not so tired.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker

lol sorry it just sounds like all this guys posts are copied and pasted from somewhere....i could be wrong...just seems like it..nice explaining anyway..do explain the lenght factor of the rods....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote